Preparation: 15-20 minutes
Oven Time: 45-50 minutes
Hello guys, I haven’t posted in a while, I know. The thing is, I read somewhere the best thing for a blog is to have a niche, and to not try to do too much otherwise you won’t get a good following, and because of that, I’ve been putting off writing. Basically, I just didn’t know what to write about because I didn’t want to do ‘too much’. But today I was having so much fun editing some photos of a cake I made, I thought to myself ‘Why wouldn’t I post these, these would make such a great post!’, so here we are, I present to you my Carrot Cake recipe! From now on I’m a blog of whatever I want 😉. Btw, I have other delicious recipes if you’re interested.
For the carrot cake
- 200 ml sunflower oil 🌻
- 4 medium eggs 🥚
- 4 large carrots 🥕
- 280 g of flour 🌾
- 200 g brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 2 teaspoons of cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons of ground ginger
- 150 g of walnuts 🥜
For the cream cheese frosting
- 250 g of unsalted butter
- 250 g of powdered sugar
- 150 g of Philadelphia 🧀
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
Making the Carrot Cake
Preheat the oven to 180º.
- Step 1: Whisk the eggs with the brown sugar using a big bowl, then add the oil and whisk everything a bit more until it’s all even.
- Step 2: Peel and grate the carrots. Using your hands, squeeze the grated carrots over the sink to get rid of any excess water (not too much, you still want them to add moisture to the cake). I found that this step is very important, as carrots have a lot of water in them, [you’ll see, I was shook the first time] and too much moisture can cause the cake not to cook on the inside! Once you’ve removed the excess water add them to the mix and stir.
- Step 3: Chop the walnuts and add them to the mix.
- Step 4: Grease the baking mould or baking paper and add the mix inside. Bake for approximately 45-50 minutes. You might need to leave it in for a bit longer if your mould is small, just make sure by sticking a knife in the cake, if it comes out clean, you’re good to go!
Making the cream cheese frosting
- Step 1: In a large bowl whisk the softened butter for approximately 1 minute.
- Step 2: Add the powdered sugar and mix everything together.
- Step 3: Add the Philadelphia cheese and tablespoon of vanilla extract. Then, mix everything until even, it should be soft and creamy, but not runny.
- I really recommend using fresh carrots and squeezing them to remove excess water before adding them to the mix, don’t use packaged shredded carrots as they are hard and too dry.
- If you find that the mix is too hard/ dry, add another egg. You can even add yoghurt to add some extra creaminess.
- You can cut the cake in half and add a layer [or more!] of frosting in between to add creaminess. Then cover the whole cake with it.
- You can add more vanilla or leave it out if you don’t like it!
Did you like this recipe?